Search This Blog

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Review: Fortune Cookie Soap's Summer 2014 Soap Box

My Summer Soap Box subscription box finally arrived on May 29. This is my first ever subscription box ever and I was really excited. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of this one. Here's what I got:

I kinda messed it up in excitement.
  • "Lick Your Lips" Fortune Cookie Soap
  • "Lollipop Your Cherry" OCD Hand Sanitizer
  • "Rock Your Socks Off" Sugar Scrub
  • "Captain's Berried Booty" Whipped Cream
  • "Sweet Dreamsicle" Wax Tart
  • "Lemon Drop It Like It's Hot" Microdermabration Facial Scrub
  • "The Sweet Spot" Sparkle Me
  • "Blow Me" Lip Scrub
  • $10 gift card
  • Candy


Price:


US: $19.99
Canada: $28
International: $34



Product Reviews


They put something in it just like a real fortune cookie?? Awesome!

"Lick Your Lips" Fortune Cookie Soap


This was one of the scents I liked. It smells just like mint chocolate chip. The fortune cookie soaps is one of the reasons why I was attracted to this brand. I definitely like the concept of it and they definitely win when it comes to the various creative designs they came up with for each scent. The soap is completely hollow inside, exactly like a fortune cookie. So if you were expecting it to be totally solid like me you may feel slightly disappointed you ended up with less soap.

The formula is unfortunately drying, and your hands end up with that sticky, dry feeling that you get with certain bar soaps. It's a pity since I love the scent and the look of this. I think I'll leave it in my guest bathroom as decoration.

Here's what my fortune said.

"Lollipop Your Cherry" Hand Sanitizer


"Some fragrances just name themselves, I swear. Cherries, cherries and more cherries swirled with vanilla, and a hint of orange and pineapple."

This has a slightly sticky finish and smells exactly like Nyquil. Not a fan.

"The Sweet Spot" Sparkle Me


"Fresh pickled melon, strawberries, and peaches twisted with sour mandarine oranges and pinapple, all sprinkled with a touch of sugar. Guaranteed to hit your sweet spot. :)"

A glitter perfume spray? I guess I'm biased but I haven't thought something like this is cool since 2nd grade. Glitter's annoying to get rid of,  glitter formulations often cause allergic reactions for me, and like most people, I definitely don't want disco ball legs while attending a client meeting. This smells like a very sweet, cheap, floral room spray. I don't smell anything else. It's not a complex scent at all, and there's that hollow, artificial smell that  I associate with room sprays and cheap perfume.

"Lemon Drop It Like It's Hot" Microdermabration Facial Scrub


This has the texture of very fine grains of sand; I definitely feel like my face is getting microdermabrated. I personally think this is a bit too harsh to use even on a weekly basis for my face, though. I may just use it as a foot scrub. Scent-wise, it smells exactly like lemon-scented dishwashing soap. I'm not a fan of the scent and it definitely ruined the product for me.

"Captain's Berried Booty" Whipped Cream


Finally! Another scent I like! It smells like berries and cream frosting. Unfortunately, what ruined what otherwise would have been a great gourmand scent is that the berry scent is that artificial cheap berry scent. If you don't mind Bath & Bodyworks' artificial berry scents, then you won't mind this. If you do, you'll hate this.

The lotion itself is like Body Shop's body butters -thick, hard to rub into your skin, and leaves an oily film. Quality-wise, I'll estimate this to be on Bath & Bodyworks' quality, and their lotions for this size will usually be 3 for $5.


"Blow Me" Lip Scrub


This is the only item that makes the box worth it. It taste like one of those bubblegums you got from a machine when you're a kid. It's a cheap but nostalgic taste. You know it's full of food colouring and all sorts of artificial flavours, but it brings back so many good memories! I like the smaller sugar granules in this scrub and it's sooo sweet. I'm worried ants are going to get into this!

"Sweet Dreamsicle" Wax Tart


This also smells cheap and artificial. It's a strong artificial fruity smell that smells like a Victoria Secret's Body Mist that a friend of mine used to spray a lot (it's purple..I think it's called Love Spell?). Again, not a fan.
All out!

"Rock Your Socks Off" Sugar Scrub


"Straight up grape candy. It is what it is, and it does it all. This new creation exfoliates, moisturizes, and softens. Jump in the shower, scrub down and rinse. Voila!" 

This leaves my skin with a waxy finish. Not the oily finish like Fresh's sugar scrubs -an actual waxy finish like Madame Tussaud's wax figurines. I really don't like the feeling. I feel like I'm walking around with a wax coating.

The scent is that artificial grape soda scent, which smells exactly like the sickly artificial-tasting "grape flavoured" anaesthetic gel my dentist usually puts on my gums before he jabs me with the injection. I hate this smell.


Overall Impression


This is definitely not worth it if you're international and slightly not worth it if you're in the US. I was definitely disappointed at how tiny the products are. Here's a pic of some of the items on my palm for scale:
I promise I don't have giant hands

The products are Bath & Bodyworks quality and for those sizes, I'd estimate they cost about $1-2 each. This is how much I would pay for the products:


  • "Lick Your Lips" Fortune Cookie Soap: $3.49
  • "Lollipop Your Cherry" OCD Hand Sanitizer: $1
  • "Rock Your Socks Off" Sugar Scrub: $1
  • "Captain's Berried Booty" Whipped Cream: $1.60
  • "Sweet Dreamsicle" Wax Tart: $1
  • "Lemon Drop It Like It's Hot" Microdermabration Facial Scrub: $3
  • "The Sweet Spot" Sparkle Me: $1:50
  • "Blow Me" Lip Scrub: $3
  • $10 off next purchase gift card


Total: $25.59

What I paid: $34 


Nope. Not worth it. US customers will pay $19.99....so it's a bit worth it if you count the gift card. If you don't, that's only $15.59 worth of products and not worth it at all.

I'm also not a fan of their scents. They all smell artificial and cheap to me, but maybe it's because I've been pampered by so many great products (*cough*HausofGloi*cough*). I'll put this under Bath & Bodyworks quality: cheap, very artificial, but a lot of creative marketing and a whole host of scents to tempt you. Unfortunately, Bath & Bodyworks is actually cheap and this isn't.

I've requested to cancel my subscription and I really hope they cancel it ASAP.


Now, the thing is that I have a promotion code for $10 off on my next purchase, which can get me a little under 3 soaps. Unfortunately, I have to pay $15.80 for shipping. I'm still deciding if getting 3 cute soaps that I'll use as decoration is worth it.

Being the nerd that I am, I did a quick calculation. I used $3.75 as the average price of soap, since I tend to prefer the fancier looking soaps that cost more. This is what I came up with:



Sadly, I'll have to conclude that these soap are not worth over $5 for me. So now I have a free $10 off voucher I won't be using. If any of you want to trade it for another gift voucher in another (indie) store, let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment